PDA

View Full Version : Poker Excercise

ange_exalte
03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
So I was wondering if anyone here knows of any good poker exercises? I have read all the poker books etc, but I am much more of a hands on learner. I have gotten to the point in my game where my leaks are no longer obvious (although I am sure they exist, no one has a perfect game). So I was wondering what are some ways I can step up my game? I play hundreds of hands a week but I am to the point where looking over them for 'what I might have done wrong' is hard for me. I guess my skills have surpassed my logical ability to assess them. So is there anything I can do to take the next step? To hieghten both my logic and playing ability, so I can see my own mistakes and fix them?

Barton
03-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Find a mentor to watch you play (which won't be easy for free;))

ange_exalte
03-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah, but it would have to be someone I know is quite a bit better than me or it wouldnt be worth paying for and since I am quite a solid player and most players better than me have better things to do with there time :( I am looking more for drills or something I can practice on my own.

viffer
03-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah, but it would have to be someone I know is quite a bit better than me or it wouldnt be worth paying for and since I am quite a solid player and most players better than me have better things to do with there time :( I am looking more for drills or something I can practice on my own.

I occasionally play "guess the hands" if i'm not in the mood for playing. Pull up a couple tables, watch and try to guess the holdings that go to showdown.

I find it helps me with my reads when I come to play. It's useful to do it at games you play and take notes on people but I will also go to different levels and try and watch how different types of players play and try and predict their next move. With good players, if I see them do something I didn't expect, that's something I might copy in the future.

Same thing for outs and odds I guess, but you've probably got those down pat.

obutteri
03-07-2008, 07:10 PM
If you are feeling particularly adventurous, play blind. Put a post-it note on your monitor where your cards are. Like a previous poster's suggestion of playing guess the hand, it forces you to read your opponents and not be distracted by your own cards. This is a particularly useful exercise if you find that you are generally passive and play only your cards instead of playing your opponent or the situation.

The only time I have done this was when I was staked in a live SnG playing against a group of beginners. I was only allowed to look at my cards if I was in a situation to call an all-in bet. Then, once we made it to the money (top 3), I could look at my cards every time. Needless to say, I made it to the top three playing blind, and once I started looking at my cards, I promptly busted out!

mcgrega
03-07-2008, 07:56 PM
if you are really looking to improve on your game you should seriously consider a poker coaching site. i recommend stoxpoker.com. i have been a member with them for about a year now and find that it has helped alot. they also have a really big video library and one of the best poker forums out there, no offence RBN. i herd cardrunners is good also but i haven't tryed them out.

riverrunner
03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Try picking a player and studying them to find out what their mistakes are.

If you have a pokertracker database, look them up and replay hands and analyze what their actions really mean.

Sometimes looking for someone elses leaks will focus you on how to exploit them. Especially if they are a good or tough opponent.

How do they react to getting 3-bet preflop or something.

Or find out why their plays seem donkish to you, but probably aren't.

The coach idea is a good one. You can find them at lots of places that are willing to either do hand history reviews, or just get on the phone and sweat/discuss with you for a bit.

Onaflag
03-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm just going to say what has already been said. First, there is no substitute for PokerTracker. Period. It is the sole reason I left propping for a couple months. I was in your exact spot and didn't know how else to find minor leaks other than to log a zillion hands on a PT compatible site. It helped a great deal.

Enough can't be said for some of the coaching sites. I currently belong to both Cardrunners and StoxPoker and would recommend StoxPoker if you intend to join just one. It's like having a personal coach in some ways. A couple years ago I was heavily into SNGs and at that time a member of PokerXFactor.

Another option is to make videos of yourself playing using Camtasia. Then figure out how to post the resulting vids somehow to the web (you have many options there) and post it here that you have one up. I'm sure lots of bored props will watch and comment. I will.

Hope that helps a bit. Books are good, but they only go so far and if you're game is NL, they don't go nearly far enough.

Onaflag...........

ange_exalte
03-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Wow, thanks for all the tips guys, I will definetly look into these coaching sites. Unfortunately I cannot use poker tracker (I own a Mac). If anyone knows a Mac compatible program like that please let me know!! I play mainly Full Tilt and Bugsy's so compatible with either of those sites is great :) I play mostly 1/2 and 2/4 limit so many of the poker books out there apply to me directly but it's still not the same as seeing the situations in front of you etc...

Anyways this was very helpful for me (as I didnt even know these coaching sites existed!! :eek:!!

riverrunner
03-08-2008, 01:48 AM
MacPoker Pro - haven't used it cause I haven't converted over to the apple land

Another coaching/training site is deucescracked.com - they have a good array of coaches that can help at various levels.

Onaflag
03-08-2008, 01:58 AM
You play Limit? StoxPoker is by far the best choice and #2 isn't even close. Both TheBryce and StoxTrader are very accomplished LHE players (maybe the best) and Bryce goes into so much math it'll make your head explode.

If you do join, make sure you mention mcgrega during the signup process. He'll get 3 free months for the referral. I'd plug for it, but he mentioned Stox first and should get credit.

You will NOT be sorry.

Onaflag...........

ange_exalte
03-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Awesome, I will sign up later this month and make sure I mention him. Also, ty for the mac tip :D

viffer
03-08-2008, 02:38 AM
I don't know, but maybe Poker Office is mac compatible. It's the same thing as PT but is more refined in it's programmming so maybe they have a Mac option.

I actually prefer Office over Tracker assuming it covers the rooms you play. Tracker is great to start with but because it's based on MS Access, it gets real sluggish when you start to get a big database. I found it, combined with a HUD, would slow my machine down so much, that I was getting timed out at some sites.

Onaflag
03-08-2008, 03:13 AM
You're right Viff, but with the option to move to a SQL database, speed has been greatly improved. About the hud, you're totally right which is why I switched to realtime. It doesn't depend on the PT database at all, is lightning fast, and shows 3-bet stats which is something nothing else does right now, at least until PT3 is done.

Onaflag..........

mcgrega
03-08-2008, 05:34 AM
[quote=ange_exalte;14856]Awesome, I will sign up later this month and make sure I mention him. Also, ty for the mac tip :D[/qu
if you do end up joining stoxpoker and choose to use me as a referal my account name there is aussie23. thanks

bojazi
03-08-2008, 11:40 AM
First, there is no substitute for PokerTracker. Period. It is the sole reason I left propping for a couple months. I was in your exact spot and didn't know how else to find minor leaks other than to log a zillion hands on a PT compatible site. It helped a great deal.

def-

get a memebership to CR and watch cash vids for a month than bounce it. without knowing ur stats, its hard to tell,and u dont know ur win rate. if ur win rate in limit is 1-2,bb/100 than u dont have any real leaks in ur game, because ur beating the game good.

to me nothin is more important than experience and hands.

in ur first post u state that u r quite a solid player. although i dont want to disagree with that, i think that in general u r giving urself to much credit as a low limit grinder. instead of looking at it as i m a solid player etc, jus look at it is more as i need to improve. once u put urself above others, u feel like u can outplay anyone, and u also imo have a harder time improving becuase u feel content with where ur at.

I am beating a game huge, over a large sample size, but whenever i tihnk im unstoppable and try to force players out of pots, and think im the best, i have a losing day. modesty is more important than anything imo becuase it allows u to look at ur own plays - whether good or bad- and see how u play them.

ange_exalte
03-08-2008, 03:07 PM
First, there is no substitute for PokerTracker. Period. It is the sole reason I left propping for a couple months. I was in your exact spot and didn't know how else to find minor leaks other than to log a zillion hands on a PT compatible site. It helped a great deal.

def-

get a memebership to CR and watch cash vids for a month than bounce it. without knowing ur stats, its hard to tell,and u dont know ur win rate. if ur win rate in limit is 1-2,bb/100 than u dont have any real leaks in ur game, because ur beating the game good.

to me nothin is more important than experience and hands.

in ur first post u state that u r quite a solid player. although i dont want to disagree with that, i think that in general u r giving urself to much credit as a low limit grinder. instead of looking at it as i m a solid player etc, jus look at it is more as i need to improve. once u put urself above others, u feel like u can outplay anyone, and u also imo have a harder time improving becuase u feel content with where ur at.

I am beating a game huge, over a large sample size, but whenever i tihnk im unstoppable and try to force players out of pots, and think im the best, i have a losing day. modesty is more important than anything imo becuase it allows u to look at ur own plays - whether good or bad- and see how u play them.
As stated earlier, I cant use poker tracker even if I wanted to, if that other program works I will use it though. I woud not have to stop propping to do so as I play at both sites as is.

As for modesty, I think you and I have a different version of the term 'solid'. I have been playing poker and collectable card games for years. The term solid refers to a player who, while being on the positive end of the rope, is not nearly as profitable as they could/should be. I dont believe I have any given game 'beat' and would never consider myself anywhere near invincible. I dont give myself much credit at all, (hence the post about learning more). I find that I am profitable but to no great extent. I also understand that my online game could use the most help. As I live in Vegas and play live at higher limits (obv), transfering that knowledge can sometimes be difficult. It's a whole different beast.

ange_exalte
03-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey Stoxpoker has a section for a sign up promo code, anyone know a good one?

bcblack182
03-10-2008, 09:30 PM
make a video and post it here, we can give you some feedback.

ange_exalte
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
make a video and post it here, we can give you some feedback.

Well, I do own a Macbook Pro, yet I still know nothing about making videos :P If someone could easily tell me how then I could try it :)

bcblack182
03-10-2008, 10:21 PM
camstudio is a free screen capture program. I dunno if it works with macs.