PDA

View Full Version : Tournament hand

Barton
05-28-2008, 07:33 PM
It is the first level of a 2000 player low buy in tourney

You are the BB with 22

3 players drop 1 player limps and everyone folds to you and you check.

Flop AQ5 rainbow you check he checks
Turn 8 you check he checks
river 2 (No flush possible) you bet about the pot (100) he immediately goes all in for 1750. You have him covered but if you lose you are basically broke with about 100 left.

Call or fold and why

obutteri
05-31-2008, 06:20 PM
CALL

With a big field and low buy-in, there are plenty of morons who think that making huge bluffs early on is a good idea. If it is a decent player, you are up against a wheel and you are on life support. Better to take a chance on this hand than get busted out by losing a coin-flip when you're on the bubble- losing precious time with no payout. Were any of the factors different- bigger buy-in, a little later in the tournament (making it possible for you to get some sort of read on the particular player), or a smaller field (see note), I probably feel a puckering sensation in my anus and think, "What the f*** have I gotten myself in to?" and hopefully have the clarity to fold- or, if I have a read on the player, I try to estimate whether or not he's bluffing, and use that to make the decision.

Note on (very) small fields: I used to play in a very small tournament (less than 30 players, mostly tourists) at the Nugget (downtown LV), and I found that it played much like a cash game since you get to play against some of the same opponents for several hours, perhaps the entire tournament. In big tournaments, you move around so much that even once you're in the money, you are forced to tables where you have to spend valuable blinds and antes to get a read on the players. In small tournaments, by the time you get to the final table, you should have a very good read on more than half the table. This can be a huge advantage, especially when playing against more novice players who aren't able to get clear reads on their opponents. Conversely, if you are playing against astute opponents, you don't have to start over and develop your table image- you can get on with exploiting it.

Barton
05-31-2008, 07:56 PM
I did call and pretty much think exactly the same as you. No AA or QQ because no preflop raise maybe 55 or 88 but I think he bets those on the flop or turn when I check. I thought most likely he had limped in with a suited ace and flopped 2 pair. AQ maybe A5. These guys love to get cute like they see on TV. With the early position limp I didn't put him on 43o which of course is what he had;)

GottaFold
12-16-2008, 08:34 AM
This is just a crappy spot to be in, but I'm calling all day here too.

Why not make a small bet the turn though? This pot seems like dead money once he limps in and then checks behind on the flop. You're probably gonna take it down a huge percentage of the time here, but if he raises your turn bet then it's just an easy fold.