PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Hi-Lo

jwoodster
07-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Does anyone have a starting hand guide for Omaha Hi-Lo?

Barton
07-13-2008, 01:58 PM
It's much too complex to list. I think there are some point count systems floating around but I never used one. The only very general advice I have is avoid hands with "danglers". You want all 4 cards working together if you can. KQJ10 is an OK hand KQJ5 is garbage. A234 and A239 are both good hands but the former is much better.

jwoodster
07-13-2008, 02:06 PM
It's much too complex to list. I think there are some point count systems floating around but I never used one. The only very general advice I have is avoid hands with "danglers". You want all 4 cards working together if you can. KQJ10 is an OK hand KQJ5 is garbage. A234 and A239 are both good hands but the former is much better.

what about a hand like Ad,4d,2c,7d

Barton
07-13-2008, 03:22 PM
what about a hand like Ad,4d,2c,7d

At Bugsy's any hand with an A2 is playable. In the real world something like A2J9 may not be playable for a raise.

Your example is a great hand, It not only has an A2 it has a 3rd low card (4) and even the 7 is good plus it's suited. I see the flop with that hand if it's 4 bets to me.

jwoodster
07-13-2008, 04:17 PM
At Bugsy's any hand with an A2 is playable. In the real world something like A2J9 may not be playable for a raise.

Your example is a great hand, It not only has an A2 it has a 3rd low card (4) and even the 7 is good plus it's suited. I see the flop with that hand if it's 4 bets to me.

i am talking real world here, not just Bugsys

Barton
07-13-2008, 04:55 PM
You should get a book. It's all so game dependent though. In a tough game you start playing naked A2 and you either make shit on it or you get quartered. In loose games with bad players you can play just about anything if you make good post flop decisions. Unlike holdem where one hand can severly dominate another ( like KK vs K4) It's very unusual for one omaha h/l hand to dominate another preflop.

bcblack182
07-14-2008, 09:13 AM
i suck at full tables so this is just for shorthanded. Basically any low cards that have the potential to makes straights and flushes are great. 2456 with some suits in a shorthanded game is a very strong hand. Make sure your hand has good high hand possibilities, that is where the money is at. A lot of times SH you will get a full ring player that is trying to make his low and you can beat them by aggressively betting your good high hands. IE 2 pair and a crappy low draw is a hand to be jamming shorthanded.

gdoteof
07-15-2008, 05:54 PM
there isn't much out there for omaha strat.

A24x is very good, if your ace is suited its awesome. a26x hands are very good because when two people make the wheel you have the better straight.

i watched some vids on stox of plO8 and the main strat seemed to be maximizing fold equity when you have a lock or near lock on either half the pot (usually low), and maximizing pot size when you have a probable scoop or 3/4

i've done very very well in the random games that pop up in p4e with only that as my guide. that and of course only drawing to the nut

you shouldn't be drawing to half to the pot very often, especially against a good player; but back door draws increase in value, so often its okay to draw to only half the pot if you have a back door nutflush draw or something.

generally though you want something in both directions if the pot is getting big