PDA

View Full Version : 6man Strategy

PauloCot
09-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Been doing nearly nothing but 6mans recently, just wondering on a couple of tactics...

My main problem is the amount of 3rds I keep getting, any thoughts on why this could be?

Also, this isn't a specific hand just a general example, Hero has 1400, Villain 1 has 1400, Villain 2 has 6200. If Villain 1 pushes all in from the button and I have A9 should I call? Would be interesting to know everybodys limit in this situation...

Cheers

Luke
09-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Been doing nearly nothing but 6mans recently, just wondering on a couple of tactics...

My main problem is the amount of 3rds I keep getting, any thoughts on why this could be?

Also, this isn't a specific hand just a general example, Hero has 1400, Villain 1 has 1400, Villain 2 has 6200. If Villain 1 pushes all in from the button and I have A9 should I call? Would be interesting to know everybodys limit in this situation...

Cheers

A lot depends on the blinds, if Villain 2 knocked three people out quick and the blinds are still low then no. But if the blinds are where they are usually
are at this stage then villain 1 (1400 chips) is going to raise with a lot of hands from the button, most of them (in my opinion) worse then your holding so I say go all in. Same with Villain 2, IF he was the raiser and a good player then he is going to be raising a lot forcing you two to play for 2nd place. I don't much like 2nd place so I reraise him as well and try for a double up. However I'm always playing for 1st place so I'm always going to be less passive in these situations. Like to hear other comments as well.

PauloCot
09-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Sorry I should have made it more clear - the blinds are 100/200 and obviously as it's a general example, assume the villains are of average attributes.

I probably agree with the call, but it just seems the 3rds are still coming too often. You seemed to touch another subject when you said you don't play for second; you're basically saying you think it's worth risking 3rd if it gives you a chance of 1st?

Luke
09-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I believe so. For every unit bet you get .8 profit for second whereas you get 3.2 profit for 1st. ($10 pays $18 for 2nd, $42 for 1st) You would have to come in 2nd 4 times to equal what you get for 1st. You could say as long as you have a 25% chance of coming in 1st you should risk 2nd however that my not be accurate as you do get your money back and have a free chance to play again if you come in 2nd. Maybe someone who is better at math can figure out what the true % should be.

On that subject does anyone know of a website that you can punch in $ amounts and see if a call is profitable? (I know about the card player holdem calc.)

Example: You have 23 off in the big blind, blinds are 500/1000, and 50$ antes. Small goes all in for 1700 total. If he has AA is it profitable to call.
That kind of thing?

Barton
09-06-2009, 11:02 PM
might find something useful here

http://www.pokerforumsite.com/PokerTools.htm

bcblack182
09-07-2009, 10:24 AM
You need to get a program like SNGwiz or something. You can upload hand histories from compatible sites and review entire sng's and it will show you optimal ranges each hand based on opponent ranges. Can't really play SNG's very succesfuly without these skills.

I've learned all that stuff and it isn't really too hard, just play with the software 30 minutes each day and you will get it down.

Regarding that hand I think that is generally a fold unless villain is shoving a ton. I'm out of practice though so can't remember for sure.

PauloCot
09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
How would you guys play mid to low pocket pairs early position on a 6max? What's your ranges and would you raise or just call?

Seems like I'm the only one on here posting poker problems... nobody else got any? :)

Barton
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Poker problems are tough because the answer is always "it depends":p

bcblack182
09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
How would you guys play mid to low pocket pairs early position on a 6max? What's your ranges and would you raise or just call?

Seems like I'm the only one on here posting poker problems... nobody else got any? :)
I would generally fold them. They are too hard to play OOP in a sng for me at least.