PDA

View Full Version : Quit Smoking

jonathank
11-26-2009, 12:12 AM
I quit smoking last nite. Using Chantix. Phil Ivey doesn't smoke so neither should I.:cool:

The only side effect so far is that i am screaming again when things are going badly, which seems to be always.

But you dont want to hear about that.

IDontTilt
11-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Hey way to go. I smoked for 20 years or so. 40-60 a day!!! Nasty nasty habbit. So I quit. And dec 2nd it will be 4 months :D I did a cold turkey....so nuttin for me. Keep up the fight. I was screamin like a lil bitch the first days after too. It'll get better. And try not to break stuff hehe. xx

jonathank
11-26-2009, 02:29 AM
chantix- no withdrawal and smoking is pointless as chantix blocks the nicotine recpetors in your brain.

i mean i'm not a doctor or anything so i can't prove that, but it feels like nicotine has no effect.

well, we'll see if i can continue when i stop the meds.

Barton
11-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Chantix gave me weird intense dreams. Some people freakout from them but I loved them. It does completely eliminate the nicotine craving, but you have to watch out for the "habit smoking". Get in the car, light one..... Coffee, light one.... take a shit, light one. That was my undoing.

jonathank
11-26-2009, 05:53 AM
yeah well when i am playing i chain smoke. like 10 cigarettes per hour. pretty sick. i thin i am done smoking though. at least rfor now.

btw does anyone know why Merge takes so fing long to pay out? ridiculous.

mindis
11-26-2009, 07:42 AM
respect guys

Barton
11-26-2009, 01:20 PM
btw does anyone know why Merge takes so fing long to pay out? ridiculous

It's fairly recent. Checks are awful, UMW is exactly 13-14 days butttttttttt, my last ewallet express was 4 days and my last click2pay was 36 hours. Hopefully that implies UMW will improve soon.

IDontTilt
11-27-2009, 03:13 AM
Jonathan, that's what I used to do too. Just sit by the pc and smoke and smoke. You dont even notice how many you light up until the ashtray is full lol...naaasty! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll succeed. xx

jmoney214
11-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Congratz! Stick with it man.

I quit smoking last winter with the nicotine gum, and i smoked 2 packs of red 100s a day.

Gl man stay with it

jonathank
12-02-2009, 07:55 AM
whoa. depression:(. total devastation. but still smoke free.

jonathank
12-02-2009, 07:57 AM
It's fairly recent. Checks are awful, UMW is exactly 13-14 days butttttttttt, my last ewallet express was 4 days and my last click2pay was 36 hours. Hopefully that implies UMW will improve soon.

i wrote an email to merge directly and it was processed a few hours later. but it was a small amount. still though.

EricBlade
12-02-2009, 03:31 PM
hey jonathank,

just so you know, i'm a smoker, and i just can't seem to get the motivation to even come close to quitting. I've tried in the past, but I've never really made it more than a day, 3 days once if you count taking a couple of puffs as "almost quitting" lol. I'm not a super heavy smoker, especially since I moved to a place where I can't smoke indoors, but 2-3 packs over a week is still bad! Maybe we'll have a really terrible winter by Detroit and I won't be able to get to the store, and then when my corpse is found in the spring, i'll have really healthy lungs, and normal fingernails, and have found to have died from lack of Caffeine. :D (i go through about a liter of mt. dew a day, and i chew my fingernails incessently, which i've done since before i started smoking..)

Good luck on getting healthier, and even if it doesn't work out right now, you'll be stronger for the next time.

Oh, on good news for my vices, i have started exercising pretty regularly. My body is all sorts of screwed up since I lost my last "real" job, and started playing poker all the time, so I can't do nearly as much of it as I want to yet, but I'm getting stronger bit by bit.

jonathank
12-02-2009, 03:40 PM
chantix.

it stops nicotine from entering your brain. well maybe that's not technical but it makes nicotine have no effect. in other words it is pointless to smoke cause you are not getting any kind of high or whatever you want to call it.

try it. some people have adverse reactions. but knowing this you should be able to discontinue prior to a suicide attempt.

if you have insurance it will pay for it.

Barton
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Chantix binds to the nicotine receptors in the brain and tricks them into "thinking" they are getting their fix.

If you want to see what 40 years of smoking will do check me out. I have chronic bronchitis and early stage emphysema (incurable). I'm on 2 different inhalers. Doc said don't catch the flu or you will be in the hospital with a tube down your throat. If I do anything strenuous I'm exhausted in 30 sec. I can barely even get laid because I tire out too quickly.

EricBlade
12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
You've quit now, haven't you Barton?

I know it sounds a bit retarded, logically, but I sort of fear the withdrawal, in a "my head already feels like a tightly-wound rubber band about ready to snap" sort of way. The noise level in my house just constantly aggravates me, and living with my girlfriend and her 4 kids, 2 of which are teenagers, i feel like i'm nearly constantly near a breaking point. I'm sort of afraid of tipping the balance in my head the wrong way, and what I might do ..

does this make sense? i know, in a retarded sort of way..

Barton
12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I still havent quit. I never even tried until once about 4 months ago.

Your excuse doesn't sound stupid. We all know smoking is rediculous. I'm the same, the immediate pain outweighs the longterm benifit. Even though we know intulectually that's incorrect and the longterm is far more important.

IDontTilt
12-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Well today December 2nd its been 4 months for me without smoking. As I mentioned I smoked 40-60 red 100's a day! I chewed some gum the first couple of days but that's it. I don't need the gum anymore. I'm less aggrevated. My skin is really really REALLY soft!!! And basically I dont have to cough up my lungs in the morning anymore lol.

I've tried to quit smoking 2 times before. I lasted 6 months the first time, and 4 months the 2nd time. Then I went to two 30y bd parties and wooop wine/dine and bring out the ciggys! So what's diff this time? Well this time I really decided the hell with the nicotine. I refuse to be a nicotine slave NO MORE. I'm taking over my life! I can't believe how easy it was to stop, once I set my mind to it. You guys, you really really have to WANT to quit before you can. No nicotine gum/patch whatever will help you if you are not motivated. I still root for you guys, you can do it :)) xx

EricBlade
12-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Hm. My stepmom was told she had emphysema after going to the doctor for a bad cough. She never smoked again.

Maybe we should make some kind of a bet, Barton

Barton
12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I've smoked more for longer so I need odds

Actually it would be a bad bet for me so I'll pass. I'm going to give it another try Jan 1 if not sooner.

IDontTilt
12-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Yeah but these newyears bet usually dont work out. Sorry to say. Barton if you're not into quitting, dont! Do it when you want to, not cause people tell you to. It'll only make you smoke more if people try to push you to quit. That happened to me anyway. xx

Barton
12-04-2009, 04:31 AM
Oh I want to, the hell with my health the money now is rediculous. With all the sin taxes in my state, between my GF and I it's costing me about 225$/week.

IDontTilt
12-04-2009, 05:56 AM
How much for a 20 ciggys over there?

jonathank
12-04-2009, 01:11 PM
i'm telling you, even if you don't want to quit, chantix will 'make' you stop smoking.

IDontTilt
12-04-2009, 02:05 PM
It's great. I don't know chantix. But what happens when you stop taking them? (assuming they are pills?) I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. It's so great you've found the courage to quit. I must admit I often have dreams where I smoke though LOL. Odd :))

Barton
12-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I've done chantix twice, it does stop the physical craving but the "habit smoking" is still there.

A 20 cig pack costs about $8.00 now, 3.00 or more of that is just in the last year

IDontTilt
12-05-2009, 06:34 AM
A 20 cig pack costs about $8.00 now, 3.00 or more of that is just in the last year[/quote]

Yikes!! you can get a package red corner 100s for 28 danish kroners here. Way cheaper. Of course the brand Prince would be more expencive.

cainer
12-05-2009, 06:36 AM
I've done chantix twice, it does stop the physical craving but the "habit smoking" is still there.

A 20 cig pack costs about $8.00 now, 3.00 or more of that is just in the last year
I remember the days in canada we paid like $4 a pack and you americans paid only $1 a pack.

Now you guys are paying just as much as us.

Today, I smoke Indian smokes off the reserve(tax free smokes) and they are only $2.50 a pack.

jonathank
12-05-2009, 07:07 AM
it's $10 in New York City. the federal tax on loose tabocco went from $1/lb to $39/lb about 6 months ago. that's when i decided to quit. but i still had 8 lbs in my freezer.

maybe it's cheaper for you, but at the end of the day you are still in Denmark.

Someguy123
12-05-2009, 04:15 PM
it's $10 in New York City. the federal tax on loose tabocco went from $1/lb to $39/lb about 6 months ago. that's when i decided to quit. but i still had 8 lbs in my freezer.

maybe it's cheaper for you, but at the end of the day you are still in Denmark.

Well atleast scandinavians are the best players in the world if you look at the statistic from pokersites which clearly showes we are the players that constantly win.

Also like 90%(maybe exaggerated) of the female population in Scandinavia are just georgous!

=).

Barton
12-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Also like 90%(maybe exaggerated) of the female population in Scandinavia are just georgous!

However there is a strong coorelation between latitude and weight:p

IDontTilt
12-06-2009, 06:30 AM
maybe it's cheaper for you, but at the end of the day you are still in Denmark.[/quote]

Jonathan what the hell do you mean by that? I've been nuttin but nice to you!

Also I never said it was cheap to smoke in Denmark, I simply said it was cheaper! AND the "maybe its cheaper for YOU?? Dude I wrote like a couple of post stating its been 4 months since my last smoke, encouraging you to keep your head high vs the quitting too, and now you're dissing my country? I don't get it!

EricBlade
12-06-2009, 04:54 PM
fat bottom girls you make the poker world go round?