PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Needed! Monitor issue

evandogger
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I recently purchased two Dell 2007fp monitors to run a dual monitor setup on my desktop computer.

I had previously been running a similar dual monitor setup but using two Dell 2001fp monitors instead of my new Dell 2007fp monitors.

The problem is now when I boot up my desktop and the the new monitors "enter power safe mode" and just go blank. This also causes my computer to need to be shut down using the power button on the front (blinking orange light).

I haven't changed anything on my desktop besides switching from 2 2001fp monitors to 2 2007fp monitors.

I use DVI cables on my desktop because that is all it supports. However, when I plug the new 2007fp monitor into my laptop using a VGA cable, it works.

Do you know a reason this may be happening? Or have you heard of a problem like this before?

Thanks for any help

djnumb
03-04-2011, 03:56 PM
It sounds like your video cards are set to a higher resolution than the new monitors can handle. Try bringing down the resolution, and trying to reconnect them. Once you establish that is the cause, you can just find out what the max resolution the new monitors support, and set it up.

evandogger
03-04-2011, 04:00 PM
It sounds like your video cards are set to a higher resolution than the new monitors can handle. Try bringing down the resolution, and trying to reconnect them. Once you establish that is the cause, you can just find out what the max resolution the new monitors support, and set it up.

hmmm, ok. I need the monitors to be running at 1600x1200 though. Is that the resolution you were referring to?

rob
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Looks like they work at 1600x1200. http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-2007fp/4505-3174_7-31783700.html

Is that the resolution you were running before? Maybe its a driver issue? djnumb is right, try plugging in a different monitor, dropping the resolution to 800x600, and plugging in your new monitor(s).

evandogger
03-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Looks like they work at 1600x1200. http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-2007fp/4505-3174_7-31783700.html

Is that the resolution you were running before? Maybe its a driver issue? djnumb is right, try plugging in a different monitor, dropping the resolution to 800x600, and plugging in your new monitor(s).

Ya they do support 1600x1200. I don't think I can lower the resolution because as soon as i boot up my desktop it goes into "power save mode". I don't have time to right click into properties and lower it. Unless theres another way? Oh well, I was hoping maybe there was an easy quick fix someone happened to know. Guess i'll just drop it off w/ my computer guy. Thanks for the responses guys.

rob
03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Could also be a refresh rate issue?

GL.

djnumb
03-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Ya they do support 1600x1200. I don't think I can lower the resolution because as soon as i boot up my desktop it goes into "power save mode". I don't have time to right click into properties and lower it. Unless theres another way? Oh well, I was hoping maybe there was an easy quick fix someone happened to know. Guess i'll just drop it off w/ my computer guy. Thanks for the responses guys.

Well you would have to hook up one of the old monitors to adjust the resolution down. Then reconnect the new monitor, and see if it works. If it does, then you can play with the settings until you find the most ideal.

evandogger
03-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Well you would have to hook up one of the old monitors to adjust the resolution down. Then reconnect the new monitor, and see if it works. If it does, then you can play with the settings until you find the most ideal.

I foolishly gave my other monitors to a buddy without first trying to hook up my new ones :(

bluffaholic
03-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Try pressing Fn and F8 while the monitor is attached. If that doesn't work then right click on your desktop and click properties, then go to settings and you might have to enable the dual monitor feature.

If it is still not working

You can try running a Self-Test Feature Check.

Your monitor should provide this test, which allows you to check to the functionality. If your monitor and computer are connected properly and you are still getting a blank screen then run the self-test by following the steps below.

Turn off both your comp. and the monitor. Unplug the video cable from the back of the comp. to run a proper test remove both the (white) digital and (blue) analog cable cables.

After you completed those steps TURN your monitor back on. Then turn your monitor back off and reconnect the video cables then turn your computer and monitor back on.

If your screen remains blank then check your video controller and your comp. system. Also check for any pins bent on your cables and you can check the brightness and contrast controls via OSD

If screen is still blank move the mouse and hit any key on the keyboard to activate video player, then access the OSD to set Audio to "off" state.

gl hope this helps