Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wtf was this guy doing?

Default wtf was this guy doing?

This was unbelieveable. call on turn with 9 high and catches nine on river.. I am pretty sure i did not play this wrong.. please add some incite to this for me. Thanks.

See Attachment

The guy is loose. But, why did u only bet $600 of your remaining $1000? What were u saving the last $400 for? Why not bet it all on the flop. Probably wouldnt have made a difference anyways but, it has me curious.

Lets instead look at this call but with lower stakes but similar senerio, just lower stakes. The game is no Limit holdem, blinds are $0.50-$1. You raise up your Ace-3 to $3 and he puts in the extra $2 with his 8-9 suited. $6 in the pot.

Flop is a rainbow 4-5-6, u have a low end open ender straight draw and he has a gut shot straight draw with two overs. Since the hand started with three players, he is quite convinced you dont have a big pair(or odds are u dont) and thinks his 8 or 9 is also good if one comes on the turn. So, 7 8 9 makes him feel he will be winning if one comes on the turn.

You bet out $5 into a $6 pot and you only have $5 left behind. Its not a great call on his part but, he does have 10 outs to hit on the turn to feel he has the best hand at that time in the game. Instead a club comes witch now gives him another 6 outs to win this hand the river.

U now bet your last $4.75 on the turn and its an instant call for him.

If i just posted this hand on this forum and complained a guy called me, id get flamed left and right for it not being so bad. I just cant figure out why u would think its wrong or unbelievably rare to see this at the higher limits of poker. Loose players exists all over and when u break it down to smaller limits but same betting patterns, its not such a bad call after all.
    Last edited by cainer; 02-10-2009 at 11:55 AM.

or better yt, let me look at it this way. Its a $15,000 max buy in table??? Blinds were $75-150. All you got is $1500 to start this hand. So, i am guessing that he has alot of your money already or someone does. since there is only 3 players dealt into this hand, ill assume he has done well against you in previous hands.

So, he is feeling hot and lucky. and u cant really hurt him with a measely $1500(i say measely only because of the game structure of blinds) so, its kind of an easy call for him. Even if he loses, he is only giving u back a small percentage of what i am sure he has won off u already. Maybe more details are needed on your post.

Was this a tournament? If not, you can't really expect someone to fold if they have as many outs as they did. Just imagine you are playing .50/1 NL against a $10 stack. Would you fold that hand? I know I just get the money in.

If it was a tournament, then lol. People never fold in tournaments.

When shortstacks in cash games berate me for playing loose and busting them, I usually tell them to bring more money if they want to get folds.

Quote Originally Posted by bcblack182 View Post
    Was this a tournament? If not, you can't really expect someone to fold if they have as many outs as they did. Just imagine you are playing .50/1 NL against a $10 stack. Would you fold that hand? I know I just get the money in.

If it was a tournament, then lol. People never fold in tournaments.

When shortstacks in cash games berate me for playing loose and busting them, I usually tell them to bring more money if they want to get folds.
    U used the same theory as i did. Nothing usual happened here and i am surprised it was even posted. If this was a low stakes no limit hand anaylized, everyone would be laughing. ONly because it was bigger stakes, everyone will think, wow, bad luck man lol

it was a tournament i am pretty sure. I googled the other screen names and they showed up in some tournies but no big cash games. That makes it even more of a non-event IMO.

sorry guys it was a tournament but loved reading the replies. Sorry to let you guys down. I was just curious why he called the flop. I would never call the flop with a gut shot. Even if he knew I had AK AQ or something like that I would not be calling the flop.

I have no problem with the turn call. I was surprised to see I was still ahead when the cards were flipped over on turn though then bam 9 came.. i was just in shock i guess. I would have rather seen the club come instead of a 9 to beat me.

So, I guess that is why i posted I just wanted to get it off my chest and move on. Thanks again guys for the comments.

This guy was chilling and having fun.

What were you doing?

I wish i m could still find the hsnd number, it was apparently a real hand at stars. NL cash. The pot was 10$ or so UTG bet 1600.00 (into the 10$ pot) with AA was called by 8 6 and lost. Beats me unless it was a money dump gone wrong