Thread: low pair against aggro

Default low pair against aggro

So one of the areas I struggle with is playing against ultra aggressive players. I find it hard to fold when I have anything with showdown value.

BB here is one of the most aggressive. Short handed like this, it feels like a flop check raise is his standard play. He can cap flops with just over cards. I can fold when I miss but I sometimes feel like I am being run over. And indeed am sometimes. So when I get a piece of the the flop I get aggro back to try and extract some value.

Having written up this HH, I can now see my flaw but I am interested to see what other people would do in this situation

$1/$2 LHE 3 players

Pre Flop: Hero is button with: [Kh, 6h]
    Hero: Raise ($2), 1 Fold, BB: Call ($1)

Flop: [6c, Tc, 7s]
    BB: Checks, Hero: bets ($1), BB: Raises ($2), Hero: Raise ($2), BB: Raise ($2), Hero: Call ($1)

Turn: [5c]
    BB: Bet ($2), Hero: Call ($2)

River:[9s]
    Big Blind: Bet ($2), Hero: Call ($2)

Showdown
    Main pot $19.50, Rake $1
    Summary Hero: bet $10, won $0, net $-10, HoleCards [Kh, 6h]
    Summary Big Blind: bet $10, won $19.50, net $9.50, HoleCards [8h, 7d], HiHand [a straight, six to ten] [Tc, 9s, 8h, 7s, 6c], won $19.50 from main pot

The issue of course is that every possible draw is in by the river and I really only beat a bluff. Where do you lay this down against an ultra aggro?
    If you don't make mistakes, you're doing it wrong.
    If you don't correct those mistakes, you're doing it really wrong.
    If you can't accept you're mistaken, then your not doing it at all.

Against the type of player you describe, this isn't a bad spot to check behind the flop. He will certainly bet everything so you get value from air. When he checkraises, even if he just has overs he still has decent equity against your hand so capping the flop doesn't accomplish much. Same thing for draws. I would just call down, and maybe fold river some % of the time.

I agree with everything bc had to say.

There are basically two different ways that LAGs make money. One is making other people make incorrect folds and running them over. The other is getting paid off well when they do make a hand because everyone thinks they're full of shit.

Best case scenario on the flop for you is that you're riding the variance train as a 60-40 favorite against a hand like Q8 or something.

There is a lot to be said for giving LAGs rope, esp. in small pots.

Thanks for the feedback, I have changed my style against this particular player a lot and am giving him more rope as you suggest. I played a load with him last night and he was my top contributor for the session .

I think I fell into the trap you described. I know for sure I was getting run over and I folded a lot of hands against his aggresion. And then it cost me dearly when I tried to out lag him if I got a piece of it... only to find he was actually good.

The thing I noticed last night was he started to calm down a bit when he had to showdown his crap. Once he even folded his BB to my raise .

I think as well. using a different style against this particular player type will help mix up my game a bit. The passive play could disguise my style for those not paying close attention.
    If you don't make mistakes, you're doing it wrong.
    If you don't correct those mistakes, you're doing it really wrong.
    If you can't accept you're mistaken, then your not doing it at all.