Thread: Blind defense against aggro

Default Blind defense against aggro

Another hand for comment. Villain has been catching and is up 25bbets. He is ultra aggressive and 3 bets most raises. He is seeing over half the flops with almost all of them with him raising or 3 betting. a check raise on the flop from him is almost standard. He will cap flops with as little as a gutshot or over cards.

Any comments on the play?

$1/$2 Texas Hold'em (Split Limit) 3 players
    Villain: Small Blind ($0.50) Hero: Big Blind ($1)

Pre Flop:
    Hero is BB with [As, Ts]
    1 Fold, Villain: Raise ($1.50), Hero: Raise ($2), Villain: Call ($1)

Flop:
    [Jc, Ks, 2d]
    Villain: Check ($0), Hero: Bet ($1) Villain: Call ($1)

Turn:
    [2s]
    Villain: Check ($0), Hero: Bet ($2), Villain: Raise ($4), Hero: Call ($2)

River:
    [Kc]
    Villain: Bet ($2), Hero: call ($2)
    If you don't make mistakes, you're doing it wrong.
    If you don't correct those mistakes, you're doing it really wrong.
    If you can't accept you're mistaken, then your not doing it at all.

I think you played it fine. I'm never folding this hand ever against the opponent you describe. I would check behind turn sometimes if he starts waiting to turn to checkraise pairs, but mostly just bet it for value.

Yeah, not much you can do.

I'd have to do the math, but if I thought this opponent was peeling flops very loose and would always bet the river with his entire range, I think I'd check the turn and call the river.

But then again with a gutter, FD and a good a-high that probably misses too much value. If the turn was a 2 of hearts, I think checking behind is something you should sometimes do.

When I tell you he showed 34o it gives you an appreciation. So, how low do you go with a call down? Last night I checked where I could and called down some K highs to win. Would you do it with big Q? J?. That probably opens my call down range too much. Any views?
    If you don't make mistakes, you're doing it wrong.
    If you don't correct those mistakes, you're doing it really wrong.
    If you can't accept you're mistaken, then your not doing it at all.

Depends on the opponent, obviously. In my head, I think I'd check behind this particular hand with queen high on the turn. And when the board double paired on the river, it's an easy call against this opponent.

I don't know if give any good rules of thumb for calling down with king high or queen high. I just know a good spot when I see it. Obviously if you make a habit of it, you'll get crushed.

Definitely check behind with k and q high unless you have a straight draw too, I will generally call everytime with k and q high on that river against opponent you described assuming i checked behind turn. If I bet and got checkraised I would probably fold q high most of the time and call with k high a lot the time.

Against a guy like this you need to be obviously getting to showdown a ton. Vary your play so that more money goes in when you have a stronger hand, and less when you are on the weak end of your showdownable range.

If he doesn't adjust at all you will absolutely crush him eventually.